chev

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Collins is born

May 1, 2012

     Well let me back up a few days.   I had my 38 week checkup on April 27th and after having to go to triage not once but TWICE for high blood pressure issues, I was more than ready to have this baby girl.  So on the day of that appointment Matthew and I had the car loaded down with everything we needed for our hospital stay.  We left the appointment knowing that we would be induced on May 1, 2012 and I was ok because the end of this whirl wind pregnancy was finally in sight!  Doctor Logan told us that we could either be there around 5am that day or go ahead and come in the night before.  Being that we lived 2 hours away we chose to come in the night before.  They started me on medicine that night and I got my epidural bright and early Tuesday morning.  I had 1 good contraction before it kicked in.  SEVERAL hours later it was finally time to push.  I pushed for about an hour (which flew by) before Logan decided she would help by using the suction to help get Collins out.  Well Collins decided to be stubborn and leave her hand beside her face the entire time and it took about 4 nurses/doctors to get her out.  That sight was a little nerve racking and the look on Logan's face when they finally did get her out made my heart stop, but when we finally heard that little cry I knew everything was going to be ok. 


At 4:43 pm Collins Elizabeth Wright was born weighing 8lbs 2oz and measuring 20.5in long. 



   I know everyone tells you how much your world is going to change, but what no one tells you is how much anxiety you could possibly have.  I was a nervous wreck for the first month of her life.  Trying to figure out her different cries and what they meant was very overwhelming for this first time mom.  So to anyone who I may have offended during that month by not returning text, messages, or phone calls I do apologize, but I was definitely not in my right frame of mind.  Trying to play hostess during that time was a bit overwhelming as well.  Not only was I trying to get used to being so depended on by this sweet little girl, but I was giving breast feeding a go too!  WOW!  To all you  mom's out there who nursed, my heart goes out to you!  You are amazing women!!!  I knew that I wanted to "attempt" to breast feed once we found out we were pregnant, but I knew nothing about it.  My sister in law, who had just had a baby in December and was currently breast feeding, told me I needed to read "So That's What They're for: the definitive breast feeding guide.  http://www.booksamillion.com  If you are even remotely considering nursing please read this book.  I read this book cover to cover in preparation for Collins' arrival.  I had my Medela breast pump and I was ready to give it everything I had!  While in the hospital we had a wonderful lactation consultant who noticed that I may have some latch issues and suggested I use a shield to help with that.  After that everything seemed to be going really well!  Another lactation consultant came in and asked if I was sure I had never nursed before so I just knew that we were on the right road and that everything was going to go just as I prayed it would!  2 days after we had gotten home Collins would get so mad before and after each feeding and I had no idea what I was doing wrong.  Once again my fabulous sister in law came to the rescue.  She had a transfer scale where we could weigh Collins before and after to see how much she was getting at each feeding.  Just for our peace of mind.  Once we did this we realized that she was only getting maybe a half ounce each time she nursed therefore the poor baby was starving.  Having this new information my sister in law (have I mentioned how great she is??) suggested I go to the lactation consultants she used when she was having latch issues.  So Collins and I along with Ashley loaded up and headed to Tuscaloosa when she was only about a week old.  The ladies there were very helpful and in the end determined that I, for whatever reason, had a milk production problem.  With as much as I was nursing and pumping I should've been producing more milk than I was producing at that time.  This was the last thing I ever expected to hear.  Everyone in that room cried before we left.  I was very disappointed, but extremely grateful that we had a solution to our problem.  I am still pumping and mixing whatever I can get with formula and will continue to do this for as long as I can keep up.  I had/have a wonderful support system and I am very grateful for them.  Now that you have heard a not so pretty labor, delivery, and the first week home story I'll move on to happier times :)  Next up Collins is 1 month old and her first beach trip!!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13

3 comments:

  1. Ma'am, did you forget to text me and tell me that you had a blog?! I love and love your first few posts. Great job ;) Miss you and ready to see y'all. It gets easier everyday, well it is never easy--but so fun and worth it! Love You!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same way when I had Leighton, went to consults, classes, took meds, pumped, nursed, tried natural vitamins and in the end when she was 8 weeks old and I went back to work I couldn't do it all anymore, so she was a formula baby, but took a lot of stress off of me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i've been taking mothers milk supplements. I only pump twice a day now so she gets formula and breast milk mixed. It is very exhausting to say the least!

      Delete